Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Summer Programming Wrapping Up

(Posted by Courtney - CRMS class of 2010) - It's my last week with the HS2 kids! I'm so sad! But, it's going to be a great week. Today, we took the climbing kids (both from HS2 and ACE, and Andover summer program) up to Redstone to boulder on the riverside boulders. For some of a kids, it was their second time bouldering outside. For others, it was their first. One of the traverses that we did was very technical, and only a few completed the whole way. I dropped down instead of going around a corner; I'm still afraid of heights, evidently. When I left, there was a group of four still working on one problem that we'd been working on for a good 20 minutes. I hope they got it!

Today was a great day in the classroom too. Yesterday, we ran a transformation lab with the biology kids. We attempted to insert some DNA from a jellyfish into e.coli bacteria so that they glow. Today, we were able to view the glowing colonies. They were awesome under the black light, but the smell was not that great. The chemistry kids came today with the most amusing commercials. They made soap last week and tested its efficiency Monday, so their final assignment was to sell their soap to a manufacturing company. We had to watch them all twice, everyone was laughing so hard. I guess we're all getting Slurpees!

No comments:

Post a Comment